Pine Ridge Cemetery
Bay City’s oldest cemetery was established in 1858 by Judge
James Birney III, and was the first cemetery to officially document burials. Ownership of the cemetery by the Birney family
continued until 1900, when it was sold to George W. Ames. Charles C. Cuthbert assumed the position of first superintendent
and sexton after the death of Mr. Ames in 1931, a job he held until his death in 1952.
In the years that followed the cemetery became abandoned, and at different times was operated
by several organizations and individuals. Today groups like "Friends of Historic Pine Ridge Cemetery" and many dedicated
volunteers work to maintain and restore this historic resting place.
Transcription Record Project
In 2012 Butterfield Librarian Clara Pasko began the formidable project
of transcribing cemetery records from Green Ridge, Pine Ridge, Seamans and Hebrew Cemeteries (1874-1909). In spite of many
obstacles she encountered such as faded handwriting, and missing or inaccurate information, Clara has organized the records
by year into a database that can be accessed both alphabetically and plot-by-plot.
The project is an ongoing
one, and the records will be updated as new data becomes available. Clara is interested in hearing from persons who have more
information or questions on burials at these cemeteries. She may be contacted at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sexton Records 1874-1909
You will find the
most recent compilation of Sexton Records from 1874-1909 on the Sextons Records Page. This is a "work in progress" and records will be updated as more information becomes available.
© All content property of the Bay County Historical Society and
Clara Pasko as noted. All rights reserved.